Send As SMS



Credits

Ten thousand years of Roboshrub.

Fangs for the memories.




In today’s state, Roboshrub Incorporated is an entity entirely devoted
to the execution of what normal people would refer to as “bad ideas.”

It was the creator’s original idea that all concepts, whether
useful or not, contribute to the global subconscious level of progress
for the human race. Therefore, we contend that no idea is an unfit
idea, and vow to act on each and every one of them.

Roboshrub Inc.
Public Communications Department






Changes may not fully take effect until you reload the page.




For your insolence, I condemn you to...

Suffer the Fate of a Thousand Bees!
(Before they go extinct)

Print Logo

1.04.2006

Electricity Restored!

Yes, that right. After 34 hours of no electricity during the coldest month of the year, Central Hudson has finally sent someone over to fix the power lines. I got power back at 5:30 this afternoon. I can only assume that the cable lines were also restored, since I was able to watch T.V. Due to my house's location, I get zero reception without cable or satellite. And I've got a serious problem with satellites, stemming from an early repressed memory regarding the illegal sattelite trade.

But anyway, here's the skinny. Late Monday night, I got about a foot of snow. This put pressure on the power lines, and around 7:30 Tuesday morning, all power to my house, as well as my neighbors' houses ceased. This sort of thing happens at least once a year, so almost everyone has a generator. I managed to hook mine up to my computer for about ten minutes so I could shoot out the first post about my situation.

Because we expect no less from Central Hudson. They never come by the day the power goes out, especially at night, unless there's some kind of emergency. This isn't the first time I've been left without power. When I first moved here, they actually forgot to turn power on in my house for four days. Of course, I think there was some kind of hurricane or somethin' at the time, but it turned out that they just plum forgot.

Anyone got any electricity-related stories to share?

Processing 16×100 Robo-Comments:

Blogger concerned citizen gesticulated...

Oh boy!! you are a part of civilization once again!
The mighty robot clan is restored & can lead us out of tribulation or whatever....

I feel so safe.
Honestly Roboguys, what would we do without you?

1/04/2006 10:59 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann gesticulated...

Glad you have cable again. We don't ever experience snow like that. I can't believe they just forgot about you when you first moved in. I am sure they don't forget about you when it is time to send out a bill.

1/05/2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Gyrobo gesticulated...

It would be a very cold day in wherever you live when an electric company forgets to send out a bill.

Birmingham, I imagine.

Go fightin' Birmies!

1/05/2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger Bathroom Hippo gesticulated...



Robo-Georgia


Lights went out

Birdman shot!

1/05/2006 4:30 PM  
Blogger JM gesticulated...

How do you forget that there isn't electricity in a part of a city?

1/05/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown gesticulated...

My dad works for the power company. His company no longer gives overtime pay, so if you aren't on shift, you ain't gonna get called in to help the problem, even if they know you know how to fix it. Anyway, my town lost it's power (last winter) for two days. It was freezing cold out. We had to nail blankets up over the windows to try to keep some warmth in the house (we have a fireplace). My father went to the place where the men were trying to fix the problem and told them an hour after the lights went out how to fix the problem. But, because he wasn't on duty, his boss wouldn't listen to him. Long story short, we didn't get the power back for two days--when they actually tried to fix the thing the way my dad tried to tell them to. This same company was responsible for that power outage that spanned from Ohio to Canada (I think that was two years ago). The company is HORRIBLE ever since First Energy took it over several years ago. Shameful, really.

1/05/2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger flatlander gesticulated...

We have a power cable that decends into the ground from the overhead lines at the side of our driveway. I always thought it was just some sort of support cable until my housemate, the Bunda, ran over it one day. She ran over it pulling out of the driveway, on our way to Home Depot. Bunda was in a mood at the time, and so we didn't stop to report the dislodged cable to the hydro company. I figured it wasn't all that important anyways.

Hours later, we returned from our outing, and were eating some dinner, when I saw the hydro workers in front of our house, looking for something. Of course, they were looking for the cable that we had dislodged. It turned out that the neighbourhood to the east of us had been out of power for the whole afternoon and evening.

I was worried we were going to get a fine or something, but nothing ever came of it.

Bunda has never formally apologised. I guess the cable in our driveway must be some sort of ground wire.

1/05/2006 9:49 PM  
Blogger Gyrobo gesticulated...

Those are good stories. But actually, I live in a rural area just outside a small town. My street is situated on the border of a town and a weird quasi-town that doesn't have anything in it.

And I remember that blackout. These power companies are just crazy, but they're not as bad as the cable companies. Last year, they gave me ten channels I never asked for, cut my HBO access, and charged me an extra ten bucks a month.

1/05/2006 11:24 PM  
Blogger concerned citizen gesticulated...

Well where I live it hardly ever freezes or gets really cold, so If we have a storm & the power goes out, it's a bitch because I miss electricity, T.V., microwave, computer, you know the essenials of life.

1/06/2006 12:24 AM  
Blogger Ticharu gesticulated...

I use a generater to run electrical devices in The Hovel. Needless to say I due without most of the time.
The building with the computer is powered by 2 100 foot extention cords. Next year I hope to get it hard wired. It's a drag being dependant on electricity, but it's the only way to record, etc.
I do however cook with wood, so if the power goes out, it just gets a little cold. No big deal.

1/06/2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger Gyrobo gesticulated...

I'd prefer a solar panel thing, but those things are really expensive.

1/06/2006 11:05 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann gesticulated...

*sneeze*
Oh, pardon me!

1/06/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger Gayle gesticulated...

I found you over at.... well, I don't remember where. It's rather late!

I have a generator too. It's really not been used yet because we haven't had any major power outages. I own it in case we do, because we have a huge freezer and I don't want to lose everything in it. But I have lived in very cold country and suffered many power outages, so I can sympathize. Didn't have a computer back then though. They weren't in private households yet so I didn't miss it. You never miss anything you never had.

What we desparately need here in Texas is rain. We're suffering a severe draught. We are surrounded by very tall grass that is so dry a brush fire was started by someone jumping someone else's car and sparks flew into the grass. We will have to put sprinklers on tomorrow because we live in the country and there are fields that have been left wild surrounding us. Better to be safe than sorry!

I'm going around to all the bloggers I know asking them to please pray for rain for not only Texas, but Oklahoma as well.

1/07/2006 12:57 AM  
Blogger Gyrobo gesticulated...

When it rains, it snows.

1/07/2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger flatlander gesticulated...

I think Dr. Flavour has a rain-making machine he is working on. Still has some bugs though--literally: half the time it summons a deluge of assassin bugs.

It's not nearly so bad as it sounds.

1/08/2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown gesticulated...

Where for art thou Roboshrubbery?? I got so used to seeing a post a day! I'm starting to shake and shiver in withdrawal...

Calgon! Take me away!!!!!

1/08/2006 12:02 PM