Let’s talk about demographics.
The Comic Scans Sans Inky Hands (CSSIH) project scans comic books from the distant past for present consumption. We’re messengers, couriers, doormen to the gates of culture. If you’ve been reading this series for a while, you know that after the main story, there’s also a section called “Errata” containing all the adverts/non-stories of the comic. For some, this is better than the actual story — it’s fun to look at the kind of products that were pushed on teenagers forty years ago.
You start to notice consistencies after a while: a lot of the comics I’ve got here have the classic “The Insult That Made A Man Out Of Mac” Charles Atlas bodybuilding ads, bulking up and the like. It makes sense, they’re selling to insecure 1970s boys. But Charlton Comics is different. There’s adverts for weight loss, hair loss, acne and prostate exam reminders.
So if you know any acne-scarred, balding teenagers with enlarged prostates, steer them to this comic.
# Dig The Grave Deep
# Pity Aunt Margaret!
# From The Gallows To The Grave
- “If These Were Any More Real, You’d Need A Hard Hat”
- “You catch sight of yourself in a mirror or maybe reflected in a store window. And it makes you sick.”
- Learn Hypnotic Control, XRAY Specs, Spy Scope
- She deserves GENUINE DIAMONDS
- Spirit Sounds
- Is Your Hair Growing Or Going?
- IMAGINE having your very own set of 88 full-color posters.
- Letters From Beyond
- Charlton Comics for Ghostly Fun!
- A Message For Daddies
- STRAT-O-MATIC Baseball
- “Look Mom! We’re Winners!”
- La Salle Extension University